Saturday, July 30, 2016

New steel road bike for the boss


The last time I built myself a steel road bike was 1999. It was Reynolds 853 and it had 9 speed Dura Ace on it and a 1" threadless carbon Kestrel fork. This bike will replace one of many aluminum road bikes I have ridden for the last 17 years. I have enjoyed riding the aluminum bikes but I felt that it was time for me to go back to steel, especially as I teach a steel tig welding class once a year at UBI. For the last 9 years my students have seen me show up on an aluminum bike and I have had to answer a lot of questions about it. Now there will be no need for that and the focus can be entirely on the subject of steel.
 The main tubes on the frame are as follows: Down tube is True Temper S-3. The top tube is True temper OX platinum. The seat tube and rear stays are columbus 'Life'. I chose these tubes so that the frame would wind up well under 4 lbs. but still be durable and feel stiff when pedaled hard, or at least as hard as I can pedal a bike. The whole thing weighs about 17 lbs. 8 oz, not bad for a steel bike without a super light set of wheels.
 Jen Green made me this Brass head badge awhile ago and I saved it for this particular bike. Nearly all the components came off of my previous bike as they were only about two years old and still were in excellent shape. Also, I can't afford to buy a new set of parts right now.........much as I have been very productive this year I am not in a very lucrative business. At least I get a new frame now and then !

1 comment:

Jerry Langenfeld said...

Yes,road bike is boss may you check latest road bike on www.firstlightcycling.com